My name is Matthew Walker, and I’m the creator and maintainer of Engines of Delight.
I’m a veteran software engineer and game developer, and I’ve done server-side development on large-scale MMO projects for several years. I’ve written server code for game systems, networking, movement and physics, persistence, back-end support services, and various tools that support all that.
I’ve experienced the wide-eyed excitement of pre-production prototyping and exploration and the thrill – and agony – of supporting a live game, and I love it all. I’ve had the privilege of contributing to a handful of MMO titles, some of which have even shipped:
- Ultima Online 2 (Engineer, cancelled – EA/Origin)
- Ultima Online (Live QA Director, shipped – EA/Origin)
- Tabula Rasa (Engineer and Lead Programmer, shipped – NcSoft)
- Rift: Planes of Telara (Engineer, shipped – Trion Worlds)
- Rift: Storm Legion (expansion) (Engineer, shipped – Trion Worlds)
- War Commander: Rogue Assault (Engineer, in development – KIXEYE)
I’ve done and seen a lot in this space, but in no way do I consider myself an expert. I’m still learning as I go, and things keep changing all around me. It’s both exciting and hard to keep up with.
I started Engines of Delight as a way to both contribute to the game development community and learn from it, and encourage others to do the same.